A patient's flatulence sets operating room on fire
An operation in the genital area is an extremely unpleasant matter, even if everything goes according to plan.
However, in the case of a patient at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital, a very natural bodily function had terrible consequences. The woman was undergoing an operation that involved applying a laser to her cervix.
During the procedure, the patient broke wind – a trivial incident with a disastrous outcome. The intestinal gas escaped into the room, was ignited by the laser, and suddenly a fire broke out.
— SportSmasher (@SportSmasher) 1. November 2016
The fire was extinguished, but it caused serious damage: the patient suffered severe burns to her waist and legs. It is scary to know how quickly an operation can go so terribly wrong and leave lasting damage.