Woman has horrible reaction to henna tattoo

Sophie Akis, 22, loves to vacation on the beach in Agadir, Morocco, with her close friends and relatives.

She particularly loves the graceful black henna tattoos that many people in the region have on their hands and their wrists — they're a common form of body art in North Africa.


Sophie decided to get one, so she tested her skin 24 hours beforehand to make sure she didn't have any allergic reactions. To her delight, nothing happened and she looked forward to having a beautiful design painted onto her skin.

While she was lying on the beach in Agadir, a tattoo artist came by and asked if she wanted one. Sophie agreed wholeheartedly and he started working right there and then.

When he was done, Sophie's hands and wrists were covered with intricate henna designs. She was amazed at how good it looked.

But Sophie's joy soon faded. A few hours after getting her tattoos, her hands began to swell and blister. The skin was badly irritated and had turned red.

The pain increased until it became unbearable. Not knowing what else to do, Sophie returned to her homeland of Turkey as quickly as she could. As soon as she arrived she went straight to the hospital to find out what was wrong.

According to the doctors, it was an allergic reaction. Sophie had to bathe her hands in iodine every 10 minutes for two days. She also used a special cortisone cream.

"She is still in a lot of pain," explained Sophie’s mother, Wendy, who was also in Agadir. "Hopefully if she looks after her hands carefully she won’t be scarred."

Sophie isn’t alone. Each year, many tourists experience these kinds of allergies due to a reaction to the sun or a bad quality henna tattoo. Even after testing her skin, Sophie still ended up suffering horribly, which goes to show that you can never be too careful. Even if these temporary tattoos do look good, getting them done by someone on the beach is probably not a good idea. It's a lesson that Sophie learned the hard way.


Daily Mail


Also hefty