Mother warns others about the dangers of "party drugs"
It's become something of an epidemic and is costing the lives of young people all over the world: opioid use is on the rise and powerful painkillers have become a staple of the recreational drug scene. These types of drugs are normally only available with a prescription and are potentially very dangerous — the risk of overdose is extremely high. A Canadian mother by the name of Sherri Kent recently experienced just how dangerous this epidemic is — while experimenting with opioids, her son overdosed and died.
The loss of her son Michael was devastating for Sherri. He was only 22 years old and had so much to look forward to. While he was still on life support, Sherri took this picture and posted it with a message on Facebook to warn others about the dangers of opioids:
The first time Michael was approached he turned down the heroin the dealer was offering. But a day later, curiosity obviously got the better of him and he met the dealer at a local store. The two went into the store bathroom to try out the drug which turned out to be Fentanyl, a powerful prescription painkiller. When Michael collapsed after taking the drug, the dealer left him in the bathroom alone for 20 minutes before finding help.
But by the time help arrived, it was too late. Paramedics took Michael to a nearby hospital where he was put on life support. He remained in a deep coma for several days, but doctors had no hope for his recovery. When she was informed that her son had no chance of recovery, Sherri agreed to take him off life support. It was the toughest decision she had ever made and it left her with a broken heart.
Sherri is now determined to prevent others from going through the pain she has suffered. Her message is clear: opioid use has reached epidemic proportions and something has to be done. In the meantime, parents have to warn their children and keep a close eye on their behavior. As far as Sherri's concerned, if this message saves even one life, Michael's death will not have been in vain.