Baby develops severe herpes after catching infection from a kiss
Kissing a baby is something most people don't think twice about doing. And who can resist it when a friend or relative brings along the smallest and cutest member of their family? But it is every parent's job to be aware of the sometimes imperceptible dangers posed by their nearest and dearest and to protect their children from them.
— infowe (@infowe) August 1, 2017
Samantha Rodgers, a mom from Des Moines, went through a nightmare situation with her son Juliano, a situation that could have been avoided if only she had known the danger to look out for. Her one-year-old son's mouth became covered in sores which quickly spread to his hands, neck and belly.
When Samantha took him to the doctor, she was told not to worry and that it was probably just a fever. But Juliano was in pain and his condition only grew worse. The sores spread to his entire body and became increasingly red and crusty.
Worried that the medication prescribed by the doctor was not working, Samantha took Juliano to a different paediatrician. It was only then that the real cause of the symptoms was diagnosed. Juliano's mouth was swabbed and his saliva tested positive for herpes. Samantha couldn't believe it, and she quickly searched for more information on her son's condition.
— The Independent (@Independent) August 1, 2017
She discovered that someone who already had the virus had probably infected her son without realizing, either through giving him a kiss or simply holding him in their arms. Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus and although they usually heal in eight to ten days, they are very easily spread. The virus is transmitted by skin, saliva and touching.
Once infected by the virus, the carrier will always have it because there is no known cure and it can flare up again. "This is a lifelong problem now every time he runs a fever, every time he's sick, he can have an outbreak," said Samantha. "It breaks my heart and I can't do anything to help him," she added.
"All I can say is, just be cautious, it can be anybody — your best friend, your sister, your brother, or your mom, it can be anybody," she warns. "Everybody needs to wash their hands, sanitize if you see a cold sore or anything on them, just don't let them come by your baby," she advised.
Juliano will soon leave the hospital and Samantha hopes he will make a full recovery. She created this GoFundMe page where she is accepting donations to help with his treatment. The young mother wants to take the opportunity to make as many people as possible aware of the dangers so something good can come out of her terrible experience. Help her spread her message!