Ohio judge doles out creative punishments
Whoever lands in Michael Cicconetti's court in Painesville, Ohio must prepare themselves for quite an ordeal. The judge has practiced what he calls “creative justice” for almost 21 years. “I don’t want people to end up back in court again,” explains the father of five. “That’s why I’m not afraid to scare them so much.” Here are some of his craziest sentences:
1. A couple was caught having sex in a park. Afterwards, the exhibitionists had to clean the entire park, including ALL the used condoms lying around. And they had to take an ad out in the newspaper apologizing to the entire town and everyone who had seen it.
2. A woman abandoned 35 kittens in the forest during the winter. In order to make her feel what the kittens had felt, she was ordered to spend a night in the forest in the middle of November without a blanket, food, water, or tent. But because the temperatures were so low, the judge showed some pity: the woman was allowed to start a fire.
3. A man called a police officer a pig. His punishment: he had to stand next to a 350-pound pig in front of a police station with a sign saying, “This is not a police officer.”
4. A man who drove drunk was sent to the morgue. There he had to look at the dead victims of a car accident caused by another drunk driver.
5. A woman skipped out on paying a taxi fare. Michael Cicconetti ordered the woman to walk 30 miles in 48 hours: the distance of her taxi ride.
6. A man stole a donation box from the Salvation Army. The sentence: he had to spend 24 hours on the street as if he was homeless.
7. A group of high school students slashed the tires of a school bus. A group of elementary students, who were planning to use the bus, had to cancel their field trip on the next day. The judge ordered them to throw a huge picnic for all of the younger students.
Michael Cicconetti’s inventive verdicts don’t completely save the culprits from fines or time in prison, but they can lessen their sentences. Hopefully, those who visit the judge do not end up in his courtroom again!