20 smartphones with the highest and lowest radiation emissions
These days almost everyone has a cell phone or a smartphone and many people have a hard time imagining how they would get by without one. After all, modern mobile phones aren't just for phoning and texting. People use them to play games, listen to music, share photos and videos and the list goes on and on. A lot of people feel naked without it and bring it with them everywhere they go — even to the bathroom! But despite all of their good points, these devices can also have a negative effect on your health. Most people are aware of this but choose to ignore the facts for the sake of convenience.
But Israeli researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science have taken a closer look at the health risks and carried out tests to see how much radiation the body was exposed to when using a cell phone. The results of the study were published in the Biochemical Journal and clearly show that using a cell phone for even 15 minutes can cause changes to brain cells that could play a role in the development of cancer.
The radiation from cell phones is one of the more common subjects when it comes to the damage they can cause. pic.twitter.com/jTul2RddWG
— Maria Schell-Cannon (@schell50) 10. Oktober 2016
All cell phones are subject to strict country-specific regulations and norms and must be tested to determine their SAR (Specific Absorption Rate). This rate indicates the amount of radiation that is absorbed by the body when using a cell phone. The currently acceptable rate is 1.6 watts per kilogram (1.6 watts per 2.2 pounds).
In the following list you'll find the 20 cell phones with the highest SARs according to the test. Is your phone on there?
|Brand & Model||SAR Level||Carrier|
|1.||Motorola Droid Maxx||1.54||Verizon|
|1a||Motorola Droid Ultra||1.54||Verizon|
|3||Alcatel One Touch Evolve||1.49||T-Mobile|
|3a||Huawei Vitria||1.49||Metro PCS|
|5||Kyocera Hydro Edge||1.48||Sprint|
|7||Kyocera Hydro XTRM||1.44||Metro PCS|
|9b||ZTE Warp 4G||1.41||Boost|
|12||Nokia Lumia 925||1.4||T-Mobile|
|12a||Nokia Lumia 928||1.4||Verizon|
|14||Sonim XP Strike||1.39||Sprint|
|14a||Kyocera Hydro Elite||1.39||Verizon|
|16||T-Mobile Prism 2||1.385||T-Mobile|
|17||Virgin Mobile Supreme||1.38||Virgin|
This list shows the 20 phones that had the lowest SARs according to the test:
|Brand & Model||SAR Level||Carrier|
|1||Verkool Vortext RS90||0.18||Unlocked|
|2||Samsung Galaxy Note||0.19||T-Mobile|
|3||ZTE Nubia 5||0.225||Unlocked|
|4||Samsung Galaxy Note 2||0.28||Verizon|
|5||Samsung Galaxy Mega||0.321||AT&T|
|6||Kyocera Dura XT||0.328||Sprint|
|8||Samsung Galaxy Beam||0.36||Unlocked|
|9||Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II||0.37||Verizon|
|11||Samsung Jitterbug Plus||0.4||Great Call|
|11a||Jitterbug Plus||0,4||Great Call|
|13a||Samsung Galaxy Note 2||0.43||Sprint|
|15||HTC One V||0.455||US Cellular|
|16||LG Optimus Vu||0.462||Unlocked|
|17||Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G||0.47||T-Mobile|
|17a||Samsung Rugby 3||0.47||AT&T|
|19||HTC One Max||0.5||Sprint|
But is there anything you can do to reduce the effects of this damaging radiation? Fortunately the answer is yes!
Here are 11 things you can do to reduce your exposure to cell phone radiation:
- Keep your phone conversations short.
- Put your phone in "flight mode" when you're not using it.
- Don't put your phone to your ear while it's ringing, wait until someone answers. Cell phones emit more radiation when they are trying to make a connection.
- Make sure your phone has good reception. Cell phones emit more radiation when the signal strength is weak.
- Don't keep your cell phone directly beside your bed when you're sleeping.
- Don't carry your phone too close to your body. Try to keep it in a bag if possible.
- Make sure not to cover your phone's antenna.
- Use a headset or speaker mode when possible to keep the phone away from your head.
- If you have to keep the phone near your head, switch sides from time to time.
- If you have children, you shouldn't let them use a cell phone for very long, preferably only in emergencies. Children's brains are still developing and are particularly susceptible to the damaging effects of radiation. This has been proved in several studies.
- Do not use radiation protection film. This material only impedes reception and results in the phone producing more radiation output in order to boost reception.
Another important safety measure is to choose a phone with a low SAR when you are buying one. If you do that and follow the other recommendations, you can continue to enjoy all of the benefits of a cell phone without having to worry about your health.