Firefighter saves wedding guest from choking to death
Cody and Kelly Campbell were overjoyed. They had just tied the knot and were celebrating with family and friends at a rustic country club in Rancho Santa Margarita, California. Things couldn't have been more perfect.
Cody is a firefighter with the Los Angeles Fire Department, so it was no surprise when one of the guests made this comment during a speech: "If I'm ever in a position where I need a fireman to help me, damn, I hope it's you or I hope it's someone like you."
But as the couple and their guests laughed and applauded, they had no idea that these words were actually something of a premonition. The speeches continued but were suddenly interrupted by Cody's mother screaming for help.
When everyone looked over they could see that one of the guests was choking. She was visibly in distress, gasping for breath and grabbing at her throat. Cody didn't stop to think and jumped up from his chair to rush to her aid.
The experienced lifesaver reached her in seconds and immediately began the Heimlich maneuver which is a technique for freeing a person's airway when they are choking.
Cody's first aid worked and soon the woman spat up the piece of steak that had been lodged in her throat. Although she was a bit shaken by the experience, she felt fine and was actually able to finish her meal. Kelly beamed with pride when her new husband rejoined her at their table.
One of the guests made a video of the wedding reception and caught all the excitement on film. You can watch a report here:
What a great way for the couple to begin their married life together — a wonderful evening with family and friends plus a life saved! Most people have fond memories of their wedding day, but this heroic rescue has made Cody and Kelly's marriage more memorable than they could have ever hoped.